Umbrella (JP: アンブレラ) is an upcoming playable character in Skullgirls. She was announced as a DLC character on May 6th, 2021, and in older concepts was planned to be one of the original roster.
Umbrella is the younger of the two Canopy princesses. She is somewhat of a carefree, albeit spoiled child. Her older sister is Parasoul. Their mother was the Skullgirl seven years ago. Umbrella is drawn into the current conflict by a familiar presence. She has grown up sheltered from the full circumstances surrounding her mother's death. What effect will the truth have on her?
One strange detail about Umbrella is that some say she bears a resemblance to Peacock. Marie said "she reminds me of an old friend" in Parasoul's story. It is possible that she may have been referring to someone else, but Peacock is the only one who has been shown to have a history with Marie.
Umbrella’s fighting style relies heavily on her living weapon, Hungern, and its insatiable appetite. Its power increases the longer it is not used to attack, forcing players to choose between using Hungern to end special moves for extra advantages throughout the match and letting his hunger build up for more damage later.
Hungern takes on the shapes of various nightmarish mouths as it tries to consume the enemy, ranging from horse heads to anemones. Expect lots of teeth! Some of its attacks may have a bit of a Takashi Murakami vibe to them. In addition to its biting and grabbing attacks, Hungern can also be opened like a regular umbrella, allowing Umbrella to float in the air for certain attacks.
- Order-Sol (Guilty Gear XX Accent Core/AC Plus/AC Plus R)
- Wario Waft (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
- Roll (Marvel vs. Capcom/Tatsunoko vs. Capcom)
- May (Guilty Gear series)
- Shuma-Gorath (Marvel Super Heroes/Marvel vs. Capcom)
- Umbrella's design was inspired by the U.S. salt-producing company, Morton Salt. Its products feature a young girl in a yellow raincoat wielding an umbrella in the rain.
- Due to Umbrella's mysterious connection to the Skull Heart, and the Trinity's desire for her to become the Skullgirl, Umbrella may be the only one to completely destroy the Skull Heart.
- Hungern, the name of Umbrella's living umbrella, is the German word for "famine". This fits with the theme of the Renoir family's Living Weapons being named after the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
- Umbrella was the first possible DLC character to be revealed in the Indiegogo campaign, at $20,000. It has been stated that she is one of the characters who would need to be made playable for the canon Skullgirls storyline to be revealed.
- Umbrella was initially supposed to be a part of the launch cast alongside Squigly, but was moved to be a first-round DLC character because the team needed villains for the story.
- She is also the second character after Squigly to have not been included as part of the inital roster, but eventually come back as a DLC character.
- During the IndieGoGo campaign, the art team consistently drew a very disgruntled Umbrella in pictures about DLC. This is a reference to the fact she was snubbed as a first-round DLC character by Big Band.
- In one of the concept art images of Umbrella's moveset she is seen saying "Is Umbrella gonna have to choke a bitch?" this is a reference to Wayne Brady's line from The Chappelle Show.
- Umbrella is seen dancing with Adam in the background of the Glass Canopy stage.
- Hungern prefers spicy food.
- An old live journal by Alex Ahad stated that Umbrella had "raw magical talent, psychic powers, spirit of Aesil." It is unknown how canonical this information still is as Aesil ended up being an unused character but it is possible Umbrella having some form of unique abilities still apply because of her connection to the Skull Heart. The two share similar appearances to each other and Umbrella being a spirit of Aesil at the time is the possible reason as to why.
- Chrono_Tata. The Canon Info Thread - What We Know. Skullheart. Retrieved on 2021 July 9.
- SkullHeart Forums - The canon info thread - what we know