Umbrella (JP: アンブレラ) is a playable character in Skullgirls 2nd Encore, currently in alpha phase and only available by purchasing the Season 1 Pass on Steam. She is the younger of the two Canopy Kingdom princesses, her older sister being Parasoul. Their mother, the Queen Nancy, was the Skullgirl seven years ago.
- 1 Development
- 2 Role
- 3 Personality
- 4 Official profiles
- 5 Gameplay
- 6 Trailer
- 7 Trivia
- 8 External links
- 9 References
- 10 Navigation
An old live journal by Alex Ahad stated that Umbrella had "raw magical talent, psychic powers, spirit of Aesil." It is unknown how canonical this information still is as Aesil ended up being an unused character but it is possible Umbrella having some form of unique abilities still apply because of her connection to the Skull Heart. The two share similar appearances to each other and Umbrella being a spirit of Aesil at the time is the possible reason as to why.
Umbrella was the first possible DLC character to be revealed in the Indiegogo campaign, at $20,000. She was initially supposed to be a part of the launch cast alongside Squigly, but was moved to be a first-round DLC character because the team needed villains for the story. It has been stated that she is one of the characters who would need to be made playable for the canon Skullgirls storyline to be revealed.
She was announced as a Skullgirls 2nd Encore DLC character on May 6th, 2021.
Hungern, the name of Umbrella's living umbrella, is the German word for "famine". This fits with the theme of the Renoir family's Living Weapons being named after the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
Umbrella's design was inspired by the U.S. salt-producing company, Morton Salt. Its products feature a young girl in a yellow raincoat wielding an umbrella in the rain.
Due to Umbrella's mysterious connection to the Skull Heart, and the Trinity's desire for her to become the Skullgirl, Umbrella may be the only one to completely destroy the Skull Heart.
Skullgirls 2nd Encore Story Mode
Skullgirls Mobile Origin Stories
She is somewhat of a carefree, albeit spoiled child.
Hungern prefers spicy food.
Keep Skullgirls Growing Indiegogo campaign
The younger princess of the Canopy Kingdom, Umbrella is drawn into the current conflict by a familiar presence. She has grown up sheltered from the full circumstances surrounding her mother's death. What effect will the truth have on her?
Umbrella’s living weapon, Hungern, has an insatiable appetite. Choose between using Hungern to end special moves for extra advantages throughout the match, or let his hunger build up for more damage later.
Hungern takes on the shapes of various nightmarish mouths as it tries to consume the enemy, ranging from horse heads to anemones. Expect lots of teeth! Some of its attacks may have a bit of a Takashi Murakami vibe to them.
- Holy Order Sol (Guilty Gear: Accent Core)
- Wario’s fart[sic] (Super Smash Brothers Brawl)
- Roll (Marvel vs. Capcom / Tatsunoko vs. Capcom)
- May (Guilty Gear series)
- Shuma-Gorath (Marvel Super Heroes)
A Umbrella alpha teaser trailer revealed Hungern to have a long tongue like grab that can counter zoners like Peacock, making her intangible until she spits out Peacock. The move also bounces the foe off the wall allowing for follow ups. She also has float like Parasoul but her being inexperienced, falls over and causes her to be on the ground. She has a flashkick move where she attacks the opponent multiple times and slams them down leading into follows ups if guessed correctly.
- Default colors
- Original colors
- Santa Claus / Christmas tree
- Ulala / Red Morolian (Space Channel 5 series)
- Original colors
- Original colors
- During the IndieGoGo campaign, the art team consistently drew a very disgruntled Umbrella in pictures about DLC. This is a reference to the fact she was snubbed as a first-round DLC character by Big Band.
- In one of the concept art images of Umbrella's moveset she is seen saying "Is Umbrella gonna have to choke a bitch?" this is a reference to Wayne Brady's line from The Chappelle Show.
- Umbrella is seen dancing with Adam in the background of the Glass Canopy stage.
- In a drawing stream, one of her moves looks like Venom's Venom Fang.
- Umbrella's hurt animations show Hungern taking the attack just like Rachel Alucard from Blazblue. Him falling down just shows her getting tired since Hungrem is the one taking all the attacks.
- Umbrella article on Namuwiki (korean)
- Chrono_Tata (2021-06-09). The Canon Info Thread - What We Know. Skullheart. XenForo. Retrieved on 2021 July 9.