Sienna Contiello, more commonly known as Squigly (JP: スクィグリー), is an undead girl, kept sentient thanks to her family's Parasite, Leviathan. Her parents were Roberto and Selene, the latter of whom was a previous Skullgirl.
Squigly is a DLC character for Skullgirls Encore. Although she was initially included in the character roster of Skullgirls, she was replaced by Valentine due to Lab Zero wanting to have a playable villain during the game's release.
Because Lab Zero Games reached their requested donations for Squigly, she had been a free DLC character for all to acquire for a limited amount of time (the first 3 months after her release), but since has been added to the store for purchase.
Squigly is graceful, calm and well-mannered, but tough and determined to complete her mission. Her past experience with a Skullgirl gives her a unique perspective and a greater understanding of the situation over most. She is particularly close to her parasite Leviathan who has been by her side especially since the day she died and was revived by her mother. If it weren't for him, Squigly wouldn't be able to think for herself as one of the Skullgirl's undead minions.
At one point, she was a fan of Eliza's performances before finding out about her true nature in the ladder's story.
Squigly is the last "surviving" member of the Contiello, a famous line of opera singers and long-time clients of the Medici family.
Fourteen years ago, tragedy befell Squigly’s family when the Medici Mafia came close to obtaining the Skull Heart. Lorenzo's top assassin, Black Dahlia, was ordered to murder Squigly and her parents by the Mafia - the very people who seemed to be some of their family's closest allies. It was during this incident that her mother had made the wish to bring back all the Contiello back to life, becoming the Skullgirl. Squigly would have been one of her minions if her father did not have Leviathan bond with Squigly as his new host. Going to Medici Tower, she then met Annie, Big Band, Panzerfaust and Deep Violet. She reluctantly agreed to help fight her parents. Upon succeeding, she and Leviathan fell "dead" once more due to the Skullgirl being gone. Big Band and Panzerfaust both agreed to keep the tale of what Squigly did secret.
Lorenzo organized and attended the funeral of the Contiello himself, but it was during this time that he stitched Squigly's mouth together, in an attempt to hide his role in the fall of her family.
Squigly was not resurrected during Queen Nancy's transformation into a Skullgirl, as the Queen was away in another land at the time and her powers did not extend back to the Canopy Kingdom's dead-and-buried.
Fast forward to the present: Bloody Marie's emergence has awoken Squigly from her long sleep. As part of the Skullgirl's undead legion, Squigly should have become nothing more than a mindless servant of the pale maiden. However, thanks to the powers of her Parasite, Leviathan, she is spared this fate.
Having been passed through the Contiello family for generations, Leviathan is refined and dotes on Squigly like her father and previous host did. This long familial history has made Squigly's bond with Leviathan deeper and more fundamental than that of most Parasites, and allows them to work harmoniously both in and out of battle like synchronized dance partners. Their unique circumstance also seems to have given them abilities beyond this world, as well.
Squigly is essentially a zombie, often referred to as being merely a corpse, who becomes animated thanks to the power of the Skullgirl. However, unlike most undead, being host to Leviathan has allowed her to retain her own thoughts and personality. Some of her movements in-game even reference the jiangshi, the Chinese "hopping" zombie/vampire.
Her full name is Sienna Contiello. Sienna is an Italian name derived from the city of Siena and also refers to an earthy pigment, one of the first used by humans in cave paintings. Contiello is possibly a variant of the surname Conti, derived from the Italian word "conte", meaning "count".
She is more commonly known by her nickname Squigly, which is derived from the word "squiggle" and refers to the appearance of Leviathan sticking out of her head resembling that of a worm.
Leviathan and her mother are shown calling Squigly by her nickname, although the former also occasionally addresses her as "milady". Throughout the game, most characters assume she is one of the Skullgirl's undead minions and refer to her as such or derisively as a "corpse". Big Band is one of the few who addresses her by her name, "Sienna" as he met her when Squigly's mother was the Skullgirl.
Early concepts show that her full name was formerly Sienna Quinton Cishan Contiello; Quinton means either "born fifth" or "queen's settlement", while Cishan is likely derived from the Cishan culture, a Neolithic culture based by the Yellow River in northern China. This was presumably to reflect a long lineage with Dragon Empire ties and Squigly's use of martial arts, but both middle names and background have since been removed.
Leviathan goes through Squigly's right ear and out of a hole on the left side of her head. This suggests that the hole on the left side of her head is the bullet hole caused by Black Dahlia at the time of Squigly's murder. This is contradicted however in the illustration depicting Black Dahlia shooting her on what appears to by the right side of her head, not the left; the hole on the left side would most likely be the exit wound. She wears the lower half of a dress ending in frills and a dress like top with a skull covering her chest.
After reawakening in New Meridian, Squigly sees Marie attacking an airship containing a fleeing Lorenzo Medici with part of a building. Her musings on Marie's apparent desire to protect the innocent bystanders while focusing her rage on the Medici Mafia were interrupted by the arrival of Parasoul and the Black Egrets, who (somewhat correctly) identified her as one of the Skullgirl's minions. After fighting Parasoul off, Squigly fled the scene, but not before using an apparition-like copy of herself to suggest that the Canopy Kingdom princess focus her attention on Marie and her active minions.
After making her escape, Squigly noted that her powers seemed to have become stronger since she last used them, which Leviathan admitted was a sign of his imperfect ability to block the Skull Heart's influence. Squigly assured her Parasite that he was doing an admirable job by simply allowing her to live after death, but then discovered - much to her horror - that someone had sewn her mouth shut during her "sleep". Realizing that the Medici were to blame, Squigly and Leviathan set off to find Lorenzo and exact vengeance for the insult.
After defeating the Skullgirl, Double ambushes Squigly from behind. Fortunately, Filia and Samson come to their rescue, preventing her death. After Squigly and Filia decide to work together and team up against Double, Double warns Squigly that Filia is a Medici. Despite Squigly's dislike for the Medici Mafia, she decides that Filia's actions will speak for her instead.
After the fight with Double, it is revealed that Double was the person to give Selene, Squigly's mother, the Skull Heart, causing the sudden deep hatred between the Contiello and Medici. Although Lorenzo never claimed the Skull Heart, he made sure all Contiello were 'silenced' (also symbolized by Squigly's mouth being sewn shut). After this realization, Squigly destroys Double and the Skull Heart. After her mission was completed, Squigly returned to rest with Leviathan, the two of which had become inseparable, to reawaken with the return of the next Skullgirl.
After the credits, a short scene appears showing Filia and Samson putting flowers on Squigly's and Leviathan's grave, marked with 'May they rest in peace until we meet again'.
Abilities & Fighting Style
She and/or Leviathan use long-range attacks to prevent close range combat. However, their mid-air attacks are quite limited and short-ranged and need to be timed correctly. Most of her ground attacks while squatting are very slow and easy to be seen and spotted at any distance on the screen but each hit does massive damage. Whereas Filia and Samson have limited cooperation in the attacks, Squigly and Leviathan synchronize their attacks to move fluently.
Squigly uses her voice (with the assistance from Leviathan) in battle to not only have the screen focus her and drag opponents towards her for her advantage, but also to produce a big projectile that resembles a musical note to deliver damage. She can also charge her moves with stances so they can become more damaging or last longer. The stances can be canceled into different attacks to throw opponents off their guard.
Like Filia, Squigly does very little of any actual fighting, merely acting as a vector for Leviathan to lash out with his attacks.
- "Stage Fright" - Default colors
- Original colors
- Lydia (Beetlejuice Animated Series)
- Original colors
- Princess of the Crystal (Mawaru-Penguindrum)
- Original colors
- "Scared Stiff" - Squigly when she was alive
- "Poltergust" - Dead Master (Black★Rock Shooter)
- Squigly's funeral dress
- Original colors
- "Nearly Departed" - Lady Zozo (Code of Princess)
- Emily (Corpse Bride); Leviathan as Maggot
- Litchi Faye-Ling - (BlazBlue series)
- "Love Crafted" - ZONE-tan (ZONE-SAMA)
- "Dead of Winter" - Original colors
- Sucy Manbavaran (Little Witch Academia)
- Kyouko Sakura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
- "Gang Green" - Gum (Jet Set Radio) - Indiegogo backer color
- Yoshika Miyako (Touhou) - Indiegogo backer color
- "Plot Twisted" - Alice Liddell & the Cheshire Cat (American McGee's Alice) - Indiegogo backer color
- "Necrobreaker" - Original colors (Originally removed prior to Squigly's final release)
- "Dead Heat" - Sable (Au Sable) - Indiegogo backer color
- "Bio-Exorcist" - Beetlejuice (Beetlejuice Animated Series)
- Nui Harime (Kill la Kill)
- Elsa (Frozen)
- Ronald McDonald; Leviathan as Grimace
- Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim series) (Originally removed prior to Squigly's final release)
- "Thrill Shrieker" - Michael Jackson as a zombie (Michael Jackson's Thriller)
- Akita Neru (Vocaloid) (Originally Color 5 prior to being removed in the WulfPatch update)
- Rottytops (Shantae series)
- Squigly's "The Silver Chord" special move is a reference to Scorpion's signature spear attack from the Mortal Kombat series, as she and Leviathan say "Get over here!" as well as Leviathan occasionally shouting "Come here!" while executing the move.
- Squigly's "Draugen Punch" special move is a reference to the Shoryuken, an uppercut special move originating from the Street Fighter series used by Ryu, Ken, and other fighters in the series with the Ansatsuken (or Shotokan, as it is commonly called) fighting style.
- Not only is "Draugen Punch" a pun, but the word "draugen" is a type of undead from Norse mythology.
- Squigly is the only character in the game to have no voice clips for being thrown.
- Squigly's birthday is during the Day of The Dead, which is likely a reference to her being a zombie.
- The face Leviathan makes during Squigly's outtake "Basso Buffo," in which he bites his lower lip while wearing sunglasses, is a reference to a famous image of rapper Rich Boy, often used to show appreciation for a woman's large behind. Squigly uses her butt to bump opponents in this move.