Alex Ahad (creative director)
Mike Zaimont (project lead and designer)
Alex Ahad (art lead)
Skullgirls Encore (JP: スカルガールズ アンコール) is a downloadable 2D fighting game developed by Lab Zero Games and published by Autumn Games. It was released on February 11th, 2014 for the PlayStation Network and on April 4th on Xbox Live. Skullgirls Encore was made free to all previous owners of Skullgirls on both consoles.
On July 10th, 2014 it was initially announced that PS4 and PS Vita versions of Skullgirls Encore were in the making, with promises that these versions would include all of the DLC characters and stages funded by Lab Zero's Indiegogo campaign from the beginning, among other features already available on the Steam version. It was revealed on April 28, 2015, however, that Skullgirls 2nd Encore was going to be the version submitted to PS4 and PS Vita systems instead, with it possessing many more properties then initially anticipated including several new gameplay modes, a Full Platinum Trophy Set, cross-buy between the PS4 and Vita versions and a fully voice-acted Story Mode.
Lab Zero Games, the developers of Skullgirls, had experienced severe difficulties in submitting patch updates for Skullgirls because of problems arising involving their relationship with Konami. In an attempt to expedite the patching process, Lab Zero severed legal ties with Konami. As Konami was Skullgirls' publisher on Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network, Skullgirls was delisted from both services in December 2013. Skullgirls Encore is Lab Zero's answer to the delisting; a new version of the game with balance updates and new palettes, stages and characters.
Because the PC version of Skullgirls was not delisted, Skullgirls Encore will not be released by name on PC; instead, the original Skullgirls will continue to receive the updates that Skullgirls Encore on consoles will also receive, and many of the original Skullgirls branding images have been updated to reflect the new version.
In addition to the original cast of eight, Skullgirls Encore features six additional characters as DLC.
- Squigly - (Voiced by Lauren Landa) An undead opera singer who was brought back to life by the Skullgirl and prevented from becoming her mindless servant by the parasite Leviathan.
- Big Band - (Voiced by Rich Brown) A cyborg ASG agent in a mobile iron lung who fights with an array of pneumatic weaponry relating to various musical instruments.
- Fukua - (Voiced by Christine Marie Cabanos) A non-canonical clone of Filia who strives to eliminate the original so she can become the physical embodiment of Filia herself. She is the only permanently free DLC character, and since her implementation automatically appears in the game without the need for individual purchase.
- Eliza - (Voiced by Michelle Ruff) An Egyptian-themed villainess who hides a skeletal parasite named Sekhmet under her skin which grants her vampiric powers.
- Beowulf - (Voiced by Kai Kennedy) A renowned wrestler who recently came out of retirement and fights opponents using a durable folding chair he dubs 'The Hurting'.
- Robo Fortune - (Voiced by Kimlinh Tran ) A robot created by Brain Drain in the likeness of Ms. Fortune who uses lasers, blades and rocket-powered cat heads to attack.