On April 17, 2011, Reverge Labs uploaded a video to YouTube announcing that Michiru Yamane was working on the Skullgirls score. In the video, Yamane expressed that she "experimented with the rhythm and different sounds to try to heighten the impact of the unique art" when Reverge requested her to make the music of the game "jazzy".
In a press release posted on the Reverge Labs official website on April 22, 2011, Richard Wyckoff, CEO of the company, explained that the developers sought out Yamane because "[they] knew her mixture of haunting gothic themes, jazz and rock would lend itself perfectly to Skullgirls' 'Dark Deco' style." According to Peter Bartholow, then the lead designer of Skullgirls, "concept art of the stages and some story background" was presented to Yamane to make the first track of the game and define the rest of the soundtrack.
|1||Pedestrians Crossing||Main Menu||Brenton Kossak & Blaine McGurty|
|2||Echoes||Startup Screen||Vincent Diamante|
|3||The Legend of the Skull Heart||Opening Theme||Michiru Yamane & Vincent Diamante, vocals by Kahori Yamane|
|4||Pick of the Litter||Character Select||Brenton Kossak & Blaine McGurty|
|5||In Rapid Succession||Story Mode Cutscene / No Man's Land||Vincent Diamante|
|6||Whiling the Hours Away||Story Mode Cutscene||Vincent Diamante|
|7||Them's Fighting Words||Story Mode Cutscene||Brenton Kossak & Blaine McGurty|
|8||An Uncertain Fate||Story Mode Cutscene||Brenton Kossak & Blaine McGurty|
|9||Shenanigans and Goings-Ons||Story Mode Cutscene||Vincent Diamante|
|10||Forgotten Moments||Story Mode Cutscene||Vincent Diamante|
|11||A Roll of the Dice||Story Mode Cutscene||Brenton Kossak & Blaine McGurty|
|12||Fugue in Three Goddesses||Story Mode Cutscene||Vincent Diamante|
|13||The Catacombs Below||Story Mode Cutscene||Vincent Diamante|
|14||Dire Machinations||Story Mode Cutscene||Vincent Diamante|
|15||Her True Power Revealed||Story Mode Cutscene||Vincent Diamante|
|16||Daybreak||Story Mode Cutscene||Vincent Diamante|
|17||A Return to Normalcy||Story Mode Cutscene||Vincent Diamante|
|18||The Lives We Tried to Reclaim||Story Mode Cutscene||Vincent Diamante|
|19||Moonlit Melee [cutscene]||Story Mode Cutscene||Michiru Yamane|
|20||The Seat of Power [cutscene]||Story Mode Cutscene||Michiru Yamane|
|21||The Fish Man's Dance [cutscence]||Story Mode Cutscene||Michiru Yamane|
|22||Clueless Trip||Story Mode Cutscene||???|
|23||Learning One's Craft||Class Notes||Michiru Yamane|
|24||Moonlit Melee||Streets of New Meridian||Michiru Yamane|
|25||The Seat of Power||Medici Tower||Michiru Yamane|
|26||Paved With Good Intentions||Lab 8||Michiru Yamane|
|27||The Fish Man's Dance||Little Innsmouth||Michiru Yamane|
|28||The Lives We Left Behind||Maplecrest||Michiru Yamane|
|29||Dirge of the Divine Trinity||Grand Cathedral||Michiru Yamane|
|30||Skull Heart Arrhythmia||Final Atrium||Michiru Yamane|
|31||In a Moment's Time||Credits Theme (Eng.)||Michiru Yamane, vocals by Geila Zilkha|
|32||Hitomi No Kioku||Credits Theme (Jap.)||Michiru Yamane, vocals by Geila Zilkha|
|33||Clear Breeze||New Meridian Rooftops||Michiru Yamane|
|34||Destiny in Her Hands||Rooftops Assault||Michiru Yamane, vocals by Paul Kwo|
|35||Where Money Flows Like Water||River King Casino||Michiru Yamane|
|36||Unfinished Business||Under the Bridge||Michiru Yamane|
|37||Royal Canopy Waltz||Glass Canopy||Vincent Diamante|
|38||An Oasis In Time||Bath of Tefnut||Michiru Yamane|
|39||The Dreams We Left Behind||Nightmare Crest||Vincent Diamante|
|40||Chamber Below||Gehenna||Michiru Yamane|
|41||The Crowd Goes Wild||NMO Arena||Brenton Kossak & Blaine McGurty|
|42||The Crowd Goes Home||NMO Arena (Empty)||Brenton Kossak & Blaine McGurty|
|43||An Oasis of Blood||Bath of Sekhmet||Michiru Yamane|
|44||Going Nowhere Fast||Meridian Area Rapid Transit||Michiru Yamane|
|1||Schmeebop||Used in Fukua's reveal trailer and the Skullgirls 2nd Encore PlayStation Vita launch trailer||Blaine McGurty|
|2||Disco Ballz||Blaine McGurty|
- 'Clueless Trip' and the [cutscene] versions of 'Moonlit Melee', 'The Seat of Power' and 'The Fish Man's Dance' are the only non-DLC tracks that were not included in the Skullgirls Original Soundtrack.
- 'Clueless Trip' is only heard during the Unlimited Hat Works cutscene, and was most likely not included in the album due to the track being very simple.
- 'Royal Canopy Waltz', 'The Dreams We Left Behind', 'The Crowd Goes Wild' and 'The Crowd Goes Home' are the only stage themes not to be composed by Michiru Yamane.
- 'Bath of Sekhmet' and 'NMO Arena (Empty)' are the only stage variants in the game to have unique music.
- It should be noted however that 'Bath of Sekhmet' used to use the same stage music as 'Bath of Tefnut' until the April 17, 2015 patch update.
- RevergeLabs (2011-04-17). Skullgirls Special Announcement: Michiru Yamane!. YouTube. Google LLC. Retrieved on 2021 August 1.
- In Case You Missed It… MICHIRU YAMANE!. Reverge Labs (2011-04-22). Archived from the original on 2011-07-02. Retrieved on 2021 August 1.
- Peter Bartholow (2011-04-25). Securing a Legend. Skullgirls 2nd Encore. Autumn Games LLC. Retrieved on 2021 August 1.